Essential Benefits of Firmware-Over-The Air
Successful Internet of Things (IoT) needs solid and reliable network technology to function efficiently. The same goes hand in hand with reliable wireless technology solutions. However, the demerits of such wireless technology may hamper the progress of even the most sophisticated tech infrastructure in various industries. And that’s where FOTA comes in. Below are a few pointers on the benefits of FOTA, but first, let us define the term “FOTA.”
What is FOTA?
Firmware-Over-The Air, popularly known as FOTA, is a unique Mobile Software Management (MSM) technological feature that supports other wireless mobile technologies.
FORA works by wirelessly supporting the operating firmware of an embedded device and can be updated, upgraded, and repaired solely by the manufacturer. The manufacturer can remotely and conveniently update new software or features and other FOTA services post distribution.
FOTA-enabled phones can easily download the updated features from the manufacturer or service provider. This process takes less than 15 minutes, depending on the speed and strength of your internet connection and the file size.
Since the manufacturer retains control of FOTA, they can make new changes without compliance or support from the end-user and with little to no external disruption.
This seamless process may be beneficial for the success of any IoT product. As embedded devices continue to surge up each year, the ability to remotely and conveniently manage such devices could give FOTA manufacturers a competitive advantage.
Notable Benefits of FOTA
- Encourages evolution. FOTA provides room for growth through regular updates and upgrades in line with the changing trends and customer expectations, without which any IoT technology may become obsolete. Furthermore, FOTA has the advantage of speed over other IoT products such as Low Power Wide Area Network (LPWAN) and LoRaWAN; hence new upgrades and installations can be done quickly.
- Low risks. Since FOTA enables the IoT manufacturer or distributor to configure devices long after they have been purchased regularly, it provides them the opportunity to stay updated on emerging technology trends and evolving industry standards. This further provides an avenue to manage the product and reduce potential risks flexibly.
- Cost-effective. The ability to remotely and conveniently manage FOTA allows the manufacturer to cut down on customer care and other operational costs. The efficiency, flexibility, and convenience offered by this feature save techs the hassle of traveling to fix bugs and similar problems on-site; hence it’s time-efficient. The time saved from these trips can be invested in other valuable projects.
- Ability to penetrate the market. Every IoT device must be reliably designed and affordably produced. However, FOTA capabilities enable the manufacturer to iterate conveniently. This gives engineers an easy time to coordinate and update every device.
The IoT provider then gets the opportunity to continue creating new strategies that reduce the size of the software solution. This shortens the download time and minimizes network congestion long after the product has entered the market.
Possible Drawbacks of FOTA
- Time: FOTA upgrades through LoRaWAN could take several days or weeks. Hence it’s not entirely time efficient.
- Complexity: The process of upgrading firmware is quite complex and can only be done at the application layer.
- Risks: There are also possible results associated with downlink transmission in the LoRaWAN network. These may lead to high rates of packet errors and other adverse effects on the performance of the parent network.
What You Gain From ARCIS Technology Solutions
Besides numerous technology solutions and IT services provided by ARCIS, our IT services also give our partners and IT support clients in Northeast Ohio unlimited access to several different IT solutions. We can help and advise on several solutions used with manufacturing firms. These can include Industrial Control Systems, Alarm Systems, Physical Security, Lighting Control, Lock Control, and Demand Response. Improve the success and efficiency of your IoT with FOTA services from ARCIS. Contact us now.